Santorini is a greek island located in the Cyclades.
Santorini is one of the most beautiful island I’ve ever seen.
When we think about Santorini, the first thing we picture is all those white houses sitting on a hill surrounded by the sea.
We arrived in Santorini by boat from the island of Mykonos (with SeaJet – duration: 3h15, price : about 60e). I AM BOAT SICK. So yeah, you’ll need to take medication if you don’t want to throw up on your neighbor.
We took the bus from the harbour to the capital of the island of Santorini : “Fira” or “Thira” (around 3e per person – taxis don’t have any taxi meter so I don’t really trust that). Taking the bus to Fira was really easy and so much cheaper (taxis wanted around 20e for the three of us to take us to Fira).
Our hotel was called “Suite Home Santorini” and we slept in the “Roula Suite”- on Booking.com. Hotels on the island are crazy expensive but I am pretty sure you can find really good deals if you’re willing to take the time to look at all the hotels on the island.
- Rooms are clean and comfortable
- Breakfast served in the room
- Free WIFI
- Nice and welcoming host
- You can rent a car via the hotel (35e per day – that’s what we did)
- 5/10 minutes walk from the city center
You can see the donkeys from your window as the hotel is located on the road they take.
Link to the hotel : Suite Home Santorini
WHAT TO DO:
- Oia (white houses and blue domes ? Yep it’s there)
- Sunset in Oia (you have two options here: A) you can reserve a table at “Dimitris Ammoudi Taverna” to get a great view on the sunset; or B) you can do what we did, meaning waiting for 3h, sitting on the stairs right next to the restaurant, because we didn’t have the info on option A. If you choose option B, well, you’ll need to arrive early – around 6pm to be sure to have a good view).
- Red Beach
- Agios Georgios (black sand beach, really cheap to rent a deckchair/beach umbrella).
- Drink at and visit the “Wine Museum Koutsogiannopoulos” (Well, I was drunk, wines were so good that I finished other persons drinks. OUPS)
- Walk in Fira
If you want to visit Therassia (the island you see from Santorini), just be aware that there is ONLY ONE BOAT PER DAY. So, you’ll be “stuck” on the island for an entire day and the only thing to do is hiking … ENJOY. We didn’t go.
WHERE TO EAT:
- Argo in Fira (need to reserved a table because it’s always full but the food is really good)
- Volcano Blue in Fira
- Chef’s Garden (not too expensive, REALLY GOOD – a must try)